Contact Us Today 248-608-4123

Michigan Family Law Blog

At What Age are Childcare Costs No Longer Included in Child Support in Michigan?

Posted by Cameron Goulding | Apr 25, 2024 | 0 Comments

Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

There are many considerations one must face when a divorce seems imminent, particularly if you have children.  Most often parents are primarily concerned with the child's welfare and how the child will cope with the divorce and life post divorce.  The primary concerns in such cases are custody, parenting time and child support.  One other aspect that is sometimes overlooked is the cost of childcare.  Childcare can be a serious expense and must be considered whether the parent's both worked outside of the home during the marriage and already have childcare or one parent typically stayed home to provide care for the children because that often must change after a divorce.  This blog is written to broadly address at what age childcare is no longer considered a mandatory obligation as part of the child support formula in Michigan.  If you have specific questions about your own situation, please contact us to schedule a consultation by clicking this link or calling (248) 608-4123.

How are Childcare Costs Divided Between Parents After a Divorce?

Typically, childcare costs are included in the Michigan Child Support Formula and are divided between the parents based upon their incomes.  The formula will provide an amount the payor must pay for basic child support, it will include a supplemental payment or discount for health insurance premiums paid on behalf of the child, a supplemental payment for ordinary out-of-pocket health care expenses and a supplement for childcare costs.  Each parent is responsible for a percent of childcare that is incurred as a result of a parent having to work during their parenting time, a baby-sitter for an evening out is not included.  The percent is determined by figuring out the total income of both parents added together and then determining what percent of the entire income of both is attributable to each.  So for instance, if one parent earns $70,000 and the other parent earns $30,000, then the parties will divide the costs with one parent paying 70% and the other 30%.

At What Age are Childcare Costs No Longer Included in the Child Support Formula?

Child support is included in the formula until the first August following the child's twelfth birthday.  After that, if the parties incur childcare expenses on their own time, they are responsible for paying that childcare.  So it appears that the State of Michigan has decided once a child reaches the age of twelve, that child should be able to be responsible enough to provide care for themselves when it comes to the child support formula.  If you have questions regarding divorce, separation, child custody, alimony or property division in a potential divorce, please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking on this link or calling us at (248) 608-4123.

About the Author

Cameron Goulding

A native of Oakland County, Michigan, family lawyer Cameron C. Goulding has been providing counseling and legal services of the highest caliber to individuals and families in Southeastern Michigan for over 24 years. Mr. Goulding grew up in Oakland County, Michigan and graduated from Birmingham G...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Goulding Family Law & Mediation, PLC is committed to answering your questions about Divorce, Family Law, and Estate Planning law issues in Michigan.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.