Contact Us Today 248-608-4123

Michigan Family Law Blog

Child Support Enforcement in Michigan

Posted by Cameron Goulding | Dec 30, 2016 | 0 Comments

Q: What Happens if I Don't Pay Child Support?

A couple who creates a child together, through marriage or not, will often be bound for life through their mutual children's lifetimes. Unlike a couple who splits without having children, they don't make a clean break. If they have minor children, there will be custody issues and on-going decisions about their children's welfare, and the financial obligation of child support.

In Michigan, both parents are responsible to support their minor children even when there is joint custody. Generally, the obligation to pay child support remains in effect until the child turns 18 or if the child is living with the custodial parent but has not graduated high school by that time, then when s/he graduates from high school or reaches the age of 19 1/2 years old. If the parents agree, child support may continue through college.

Once a child support award has been ordered by the court, it can only be changed by a subsequent court order, generally sought when there has been a significant change in the financial situation of the parties. Unfortunately, some parents simply fall delinquent in their payments and rack up child support arrears.

What can happen to the parent who falls behind?

There are many tools available to the Office of Child Support (OCS) in the Michigan Department of Human Services to collect past due child support arrears from delinquent parents and/or penalize them by restricting certain rights and privileges.

Here is a sampling of possible OCS enforcement tools guaranteed to disrupt the life of—if not get payment from-- the delinquent parent:

  • A Withholding order directing an employer to withhold wages;
  • Access Unemployment, Worker's Compensation, or pension plan benefits;
  • Intercept state and federal income tax return refunds;
  • Suspend, revoke, deny or restrict the delinquent parent's passport or licenses (including drivers, recreational, professional, or occupational);
  • Place liens on the delinquent parent's house and other property (or take the property outright) so it can't be transferred until the lien for arrears has been paid;
  • Commence a contempt legal action which can result in a judgment, probation, or even jail time for the delinquent parent.

In light of these enforcement avenues and the complex process of figuring out the proper amount of support in each particular case, parents should seek the counsel of a family law attorney to ensure they are not paying too much or receiving too little in a child support award. The attorney should have extensive experience handling child support matters and should use a dedicated software system that complies with the statewide Child Support Guidelines.

If you are a parent, married or not, that is parting ways with your co-parent through divorce or otherwise, or you need help with the enforcement or modification of an existing child support order, contact the Michigan law firm of Byers & Goulding, PLC at 248.608.4123. We have been exclusively practicing family law in the Tri-County area of Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties, as well as Genesee, Lapeer and Livingston counties for the past 20 years.

About the Author

Cameron Goulding

A native of Oakland County, Michigan, family lawyer Cameron C. Goulding has been providing counseling and legal services of the highest caliber to individuals and families in Southeastern Michigan for over 24 years. Mr. Goulding grew up in Oakland County, Michigan and graduated from Birmingham G...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Goulding Family Law & Mediation, PLC is committed to answering your questions about Divorce, Family Law, and Estate Planning law issues in Michigan.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.